Thursday, April 7, 2016

Robert Gates’s Talk on Leadership: Long-Delayed Takeaways

(video courtesy of The Chicago Council on Global Affairs)


When I heard that Robert Gates was in town and was going to give a talk on leadership, I jumped at the opportunity. The most I knew about him, at the time that I signed up for this, is that he was George W. Bush’s Secretary of Defense for a spell. What I found out during the talk was that he has worked for a number of different administrations.

The responsible thing to do here is to elaborate on that, but this info is Wikipedia-able. Being that I’m finally getting around to a post about something that happened over a month ago, I am going to forgo this step. Dr. Gates has a 40-year history—current President of the Boy Scouts of America, ex-CIA, a bunch of other stuff. It turns out that the main draw for his latest book (and this talk by extension) was that he had been at the head of a diverse array of organizations. Therefore he is quite qualified to convey some wisdom on leardership that an be used universally.

But an aside on the ex-CIA tip:

When asked about the general state of affairs abroad, Gates cracked this joke about how people in the intelligence community are naturally pessimistic. “If [an intelligence officer] stops to smell the roses, he’s looking around for the coffin.” I thought that was really funny! I probably laughed the loudest out of the hundreds and hundreds of people in that Fairmont Hotel banquet hall. Good thing I sat in the back. And that’s when it dawned on me that I pretty much have the same sense of humor as a super old-school Texan man.


My Initial Impressions

Clearly, I had all the wrong ones. I knew he was going to talk about leadership, but I didn’t really look into it much. Sure I maybe found out through osmosis that he was on a book tour, about his book on leadership. But I, being familiar only with his work with the most recent Republican administration, assumed it was going to be more of Gates on some anti-Obama platform—about how we are not leading-as-a-country anymore (you know, the usual conservative gripes) and he was going to outline that fact in equally clichĂ© ways. But once they started with his intro, I was like “oh, they literally meant how to be a leader on the flier”…like a keynote speech you may give as a university president (possibly to your campus’s RA’s). Then I think to myself “well shit…are we going to talk policy at all?” I thought I was cozying up to Secretary Gates pontificating on what’s wrong with our foreign policy/defense plan. Once that bubble burst for me, I was even more glad I didn’t cave and put up the nine dollars (in cash only) for a beer ticket. That would have meant I was making myself comfy for something entirely other than what I signed up for. That being said, he did take time to admonish the general gridlock in Washington. That indicated to me that it’s officially the hot thing to do on both sides of the aisle. That occurred about five minutes into his speech. It is at that time that it really sunk in for me, thinking to myself  “so A Passion for Leadership: Lessons on Change and Reform from Fifty Years of Public Service is basically meant as a glorified organizational psychology book?” As the kids might say, I got got.

So the one benefit of procrastinating on this for so long is that I earned some perspective. Instead of just regurgitating on what happened (there’s the video on the internet for that), I’m going to give you my inferred takeaways on what Robert Gates thinks about current things.

Like many adults of his age and background, he’s disenchanted with the millennial generation.

In response to someone’s question about the decline in the number of public servants under age 35, Gates got applause for his suggestion for there to be mandatory national service program for people to join once a person turns 18 (sounds kind of big government-ish to me, but that’s also just me being a troll). But  how is there such disappointment in this age group’s lack of commitment to public service? We’re crushed by debt, man! Here’s all I have to say:



He’s really into thinking that “young people” should consider serving their fellow Americans. Maybe if we weren’t all so broke, we could consider it. Take Donald Trump, for instance. Trump is a baffling individual—and not even for the obvious reasons. He’s a billionaire. Why does he want to take on the stress of leading the world’s most powerful country to the tune of a measly $400k a year? Adults these days…I tell ya.

Robert is not really fuckin’ with that Iranian deal.

I infer this, at least in part, by a little quip he made about the weather out in D.C. Mind you, this event took place right after that huge snowstorm on the east coast. Gates joked “everything in Washington is frozen except Iranian assets!” And I thought it was funny. As. Fuck. I laughed pretty loud, while everyone else just sort of tee-heed (strike two for my old-timey sense of humor). But that aside, I think the removal of US sanctions is really sticking out in Dr. Gates’s mind at the moment—to say the least. What compounds this is that at the wrap-up of Q&A, someone asked about what counties should be major players in the (so-called) US-led coalition against ISIS. To this question,  Gates responded:

·              “A Shia-led, Iranian backed government in Baghdad, welcoming the forces of sunni countries to help sunnis is not gonna happen.”

·             So in light of that type of response, I feel the Iranian deal really irks him. But it is at this point that I differ with the former Secretary.

A Tehran-backed Shiite militia seems farfetched at the moment, but we’re getting warmer and warmer with Tehran every day—so much so, one could say, that these warming relations between Washington and Tehran have pushed Saudi anxieties to the tipping point (see the diplomatic fallout after the execution of Sheik Nimr-al-Nimr).

One could (and people do) make the argument that the al Nimr situation is not borne of sectarian animosity, so much as rock-bottom oil prices and the waning of Saudi Arabia’s economic utility (as far as the US is concerned). That being said, it is not hard to fathom a Tehran, delighted with new Western outlets for consumerism, become willing to take the on-the-ground role of keeping Iraq calm. Ain’t no tellin’.  Aint noooo telling.

NO TELLING!


So that’s my spiel for now. My hope is that these become more polished, and put out more promptly and often. From my laptop, this has been amateur reporter on this event, Angela Twerkel.

No comments:

Post a Comment