Thursday, April 21, 2016

Vestager > Legarde



There, I said it.

Denmark's Economy Minister, Margrethe Vestager, has my vote for most impactful woman in Europe--not IMF Managing Director Christine Legarde, or this blogs parodic namesake. This is a conclusion I came to upon...well...learning who she is. I think Legarde is dope. But now I have a new favorite.

But I have always felt some typa way about the enthusiasm behind Angela Merkel--partially catalyzed by her being Time's Person of the Year in 2015. I tip my hat to her in terms of the current refugee crisis. But all the positives of what was achieved in during this crisis, and during the Grexit, is way overblown to me. This has all come at the expense of kicking Greece around!

Ukraine--yeah we imposed sanctions, but the only ones tht were going to have any teeth were going to be born of Europe. And look who is Gazporom's biggest customer? Germany? Home to apparent mega-diplomat Angela Merkel. But Vestager took on Gazprom. No one else is doing this stuff. The southern european countries are ripped on too much. Greece has been more-or-less welcoming to the refugees. but then many of the Balkan countries along the overland route are closing their borders.

and just ask Vittorio Grilli about the Euro financial crisis. And maybe ask L. Randal Wray. Italy and Greece went down because the jumped in to help--as is the philosophy/point behind even having a fucking European Union in the first place! At least I thought. And look who stayed tight-wadded? Germany? But apparently she some dynamo now, and we could all learn something from Germany's leadership. But in reality, the southern EU countries are arguably better examples of what you should be doing.

The IMF kept Greece in as a face-saver. It was not in Greece's best long-term financial interests, nor was it in Europe's short-term financial interests. Greeks living there were like yo. We've already been austere as fuck for the longest. Do it 5 more years and we can rebuild? Why the hell not? I'd better get up. My butt hurts, and I realized its Good Friday. I need to get a fucking rental car.

NOTE: It is clearly not Good Friday at the time I published. This I was sitting on the floor of Albequerque airport (while my laptop charged) and was still salty about missing my original flight from LAX the night before. I didn't really get past going in on Merkel, but look up Margarethe Vestager when you get the chance. She's dope.

No comments:

Post a Comment